Next Gen Digital Book App
Big History Adventures is a next gen digital book application I am developing in association with the International Big History Association. Featuring contributions by leading scholars of world history, this digital book app represents a game-changing digital learning experience for 21st Century students. Big History Adventures combines the latest innovations in mobile entertainment design technology--including motion, cinematics, animation, music, and sound fx; with the powerful storytelling device of narrativizing the life stories of peoples who lived in past centuries, in different epochs and locations around the globe; with the innovative, cross-disciplinary curricula of Big History: to create a revolutionary interactive learning experience that will enhance and broaden student comprehension of the complex world around them. Original, applied interaction design research demonstrates how data visualization, interactive maps of time, musical scoring, branching paths, and documentary-inspired visualizations can bring the pages of history to life.
Since coming to Dubai, and joining the American University in Dubai’s Digital Media faculty in the fall of 2015, my primary design initiative has been to build Big History Adventures as a next gen digital learning experience. Toward that end, I have achieved the following milestones to date:
- November 2015: Presented early stage interaction design research as part UAE Innovation Week, showcasing MadeFire MotionBook technology.
- June 2016: Awarded Summer Research Institute Fellowship to the Harris Manchester College at Oxford; conducted design and curriculum research
- July 2016: Digital Learning design research presentation delivered at the International Big History Association Conference in Amsterdam
- Fall 2016: FTO Awarded, time is used to develop project pre-alpha, which is completed by December of 2016
- April 2, 2017: Dr. Jonathan Markley, leading Big Historian, comes to AUD campus and speaks as part of Visual Forums Series. Topic: Innovating Visual Educational Multimedia. Partnership with the IBHA formed.
- April 9, 2017: presented first live demo as part of Visual Forum Series to an audience in the VC Rotunda, showcasing key features in early stage.
- May 17, 2017: Out of over 700 entries, the digital learning concept wins 5th place in the Dubai Smartpreneur 2.0 Competition, as part of the Dubai Chamber of Commerce Smart City Initiative.
- Nov 7-9, 2017: Big History Adventures receives competitive invitation to exhibit live demo on the showroom floor of Web Summit 2017, the largest technology conference in the world, which will be the first live demo for an international audience.
- Nov 15, 2017: Will present “worked example” digital media and learning research at EduTECH Middle East, Dubai.
- March 28, 2018: Live hands-on demo on display as official selection to 2018 Step Conference.
- November 2018: From stealth mode to soft launch..
- Dec 12, 2018: History Adventures, Ch. III Conscribo, goes live on iTunes in 52 countries!
- Feb 13, 2019: hands-on demo of v2.0, as official selection to the 2019 Step Conference.
- Feb 22, 2019: First demo of History Adventures for Asian audience at Slush Tokyo, Japan
- March 19, 2019: History Adventures Indiegogo official crowdfund launch!!
- January, 2020: History Adventures - World of Characters The Future of Learning History Coming to iTunes