- During his lifetime William Shakespeare is said to have written 37 plays and 150 poems; however, no one can tell the exact number still because a lot of his work has been lost over time.
2. Nobody knows what Shakespeare did from 1585 to 1592. Shakespeare disappeared from the records for 7 years and historians usually refer to this period as “the lost years.”
3. Then in 1592 William Shakespeare magically reappeared in London as an actor and a playwright. However, his rivals criticized him and made fun of his work. Robert Greene, who was another writer, referred to Shakespeare as ‘an upstart crow.’
4. Shakespeare’s parents and children were illiterate. Shakespeare’s father had a lot of different jobs and at one point also got paid to drink beer!
5. Shakespeare did not know how to spell his name right but then again can we blame him?